Car accidents are stressful, but it’s important to stay level-headed and take action.
Try and remember as clearly as possible what happened, but avoid placing blame for the accident! Don’t even discuss who was at fault.
Here’s what to do:
- If anyone has been injured, call 911 immediately. Do not assume somebody else has already done it! If everyone’s assuming someone else has called, emergency services may not hear about it for a long time.
- If it’s safe to do so, and if the vehicles can be moved, get them off the road.
- Think about what direction each vehicle was traveling, and anything else leading up to the crash.
- Take clear pictures with your cell phone of the following:
- The other driver’s pink cards (insurance and registration)
- The other driver’s license
- Vehicles, including license plates
- Road conditions and weather
- Anything else that may have played a role in the accident. Examples of this might be a truck or dumpster blocking the view of a traffic sign, a major pothole etc.
- During normal business hours, call the KC & Co Insurance office where you bought your policy (Mundare: 780-764-2238, Holden: 780-688-3865, Tofield: 780-662-0165). After hours, call the number on your pink card.